HISTORY OF THE ELMORE MILLS


1792 Leach, Joseph Lake area Mill
Town Official
Selectman - elected 7-23-1792; 3-30-1793; 1794; 1799 and 1800- Moderator 1793; 1799 and 1800. Town Clerk 7-23-1 792 until 3-29-1796. Joseph Leech and Isaac appeared interested in starting a mill according to the town records - “The first mill in Elmore was probably near where the dam is now. According to the First Book of Town Records, on June 27, 1798, it was “voted that the selectmen shall have the power to lease out to Joseph Leech and Isaac Leech the privilege of building a sawmill on pond brook in the highway”. The wording “in the highway” probably means in the highway right of way. Elmore’s roads were surveyed 6 rods wide, twice what most towns’ right-of-ways were. The 1800 Census lists Joseph Leach as head of household with 3 members in his family
1798 General
Mills-General
History-Mills The first mill in
Elmore was probably near where the dam is now. According to the First Book of Town Records, on June 27, 1798, it was “voted that the seLectmen shall have the power to lease out to Joseph Leech and Isaac Leech the privilege of building a sawmill on pond brook in the highway”. The wording 1n the highway” probably means in the highway right of way. Elmore’s roads were surveyed 6 rods wide, twice what most towns’ right-of-ways were.
1800 Hill, Ernest E. Hill RGHill
Saw mill
Ernest E. Hill was manager of R.G. Hill Saw Mill
1850 Brown, James Lake Area Starch
Factory
Hemenway Vol. Il, Part II, Page 627 - James Brown manufactures potato starch near Elmore Pond
1856 Ward, ChesterW. Lake area
WoodburylWard 6 Real
Estate Map - Rd 2 -Chet Ward, born 1856 -
See notes regarding WoodburylWard Saw Mill under Woodbury. News and Citizen 1-25-1 905 - C. W. Ward cut a pine on the Bacon lot that measured 2,953. The tree from the stump was 130 feet. It was drawn to the mill by Hiram Dodge. Chester Ward was Bert Ward’s brother and his father was Luther Ward. Chet was an old lumberjack and mill man. He and Urban Woodbury started what became the Stowe Lumber Company. Chet Ward said that there was lead in Worcester range in Elmore. 12/21/1898 - C. W. Ward has purchased F. L. Slayton’s farm on the East Elmore Road, recently sold to Slayton by W. W. Silloway. C. W. Ward has taken Dan Dingwell’s farm for one year. C. W. Ward was selectman in 1927.
1863 Gale, Lyman A. Pleasant Valley Gale
Sawmill
Accident Grand List-I 863 (real estate
tax) Lamoille News 4-24-1878 - Quite an accident occurred in Gale and Gray’s sawmill. When the man took away the last board, he left the end of an iron dog out in the reverse motion of the carriage. It caught on the back side of the saw breaking the saw in pieces The pieces flew in every direction imbedding themselves in the sides and roof of the building. Considerable damage was done to the mill. Mr. Gale, who was running the saw got hit in the head. 8/6/1891 - L. A.Gale bought timber land on the west side of Eagle Ledge Road from George LeBarron.
1873 Symonds, Austin & Mary Spaulding East Elmore
Shingle mill Genealogy Thomas Austin
Symonds, born 1873 in Elmore, Vt. married to Mary E. Spaulding from Worcester,, Vt. born 1883 Second child was Lorena Maud Symonds born October 15, 1905. Third child was Thomas
Austin, born August 3, 1907. Austin Symonds, Sr. was a mill laborer. News and Citizen, Jan. 6, 1897 - Austin Symonds went home sick with the measles Monday. 2/13/1897 - He is working for Hollenbeck again. 3/17/1897 - Austin Symonds is repairing and putting in some new machinery in his shingle mill. 4/14/1897 - Austin Symonds is running his shingle mill with a full gang and making the most of the high water. 9/22/1897 - Austin Symonds is repairing his mill and dam.
1878 Slayton, Azro P. and Lucy B. East Elmore A.P. & F.L.mill Map-Rd 3 F-700 Carpenter and joiner and bridge builder. Slayton and
Son were prop of saw mill located in S.E. on Hardwood Platte Brook was built in 1860 being started on Thanksgiving of that year. (not far from where brook nears E. Elmore Road. (pg 84,Ref 1). He was a manufacturer and dealer in hard and soft wood lumber, and dressed. The mill was built in 1860 and started running on Thanksgiving Day. Circular saw. 300,000 ft per year. According to Childs Gazetter, Azro P. Slayton, age 44 was a Captain in the Civil War and mustered out in 1863. His wife was Lucy B. Slayton and his son was Dr. William T. Slayton, a medical doctor - See further information under William T. Slayton. A. P. Slayton represented Elmore in the State’s General Assemby 1868 as a Republican.
1878 Brown, Curtis C.. Pleasant Valley Albee Sawmill
Genealogy F-50 Map - Rd 7 -Curtis Brown, born 1841 - died 1916. He was the
son of Thomas Brown. He lived where P. Knight lived until 1900 and bought Albee Mill. Curtis Brown’s son was Chester Brown. News and Citizen 3-1 5-1 899 - C. C. Brown sold 6 cows. News and Citizen 3/1 9/1 891 - C. C. Brown has rented his hill farm to Anson Silloway. 8/27/1885 - Mrs Lizzie M. Brown, wife to C. C. Brown died 8/18/1885. She was 43 year of age. She was born July 16, 1884.
1878 Symonds, Thomas Austin & Mary East Elmore Symonds Mill Map Rd 31.”Name on 1878 map has Symonds spelled
Simmons. News and Citizen reported on 4-30-1902 that T. Symonds ran the engine for Capt.
Hollenbeck as usual. News and Citizen 10/31/1 897 - Austin Symonds is repairing his shingle mill.
He intends pulling in a new water wheel this fall.
1878 Gale, Lyman A. Pleasant Valley Gale Sawmill War, Civil F-170 Map - Rd 9 - Lyman Gale was 3rd Selectman; represented Elmore in the State’s General Assemby as a republican in 1876; Justice of the Peace ,Prop. saw mill, manure and dealer lumber - 8 dairy cows -owned farm with 170 acres. Ref 1, page 84 -L.A. Gale Sawmill was located in East Elmore on East Branch. Built in 1871 by George Gray and Mr. Gale. 500,000 ft lumber per year, mostly dressed. Internet - Vermont in the Civil War - According to the 1864-1 865 adjutant and Inspector General’s report, Lyman A. Gale was drafted but paid $300.00 commutation and did not serve. He was in the Eleventh Sub District during the Civil War according to the Lamoille Newsdealer 7/23/1863.
1878 Story, Hiram Pleasant Valley Story
Mill Real Estate

Lamoille News 4-24-1 878 - Elbridge Rugg has bought Hiram Story’s saw mill and is doing a large amount of sawing. Lamoille News 5/29/1878 - Work at H. Story’s lumber mill stopped for a short time because of the large nut in the saw shaft.
1878 Gray, George, Esq. and Sarah Hargin Pleasant Valley Gray’s
Sawmill Animal
tales F-600 Map-Rd 9 prop saw-mill - manure and
dealer dressed lumber. Breeder - Durham cattle. Farm 600 acres. Ref 1, Pg 84 - The Gray’s Sawmill was located in NE on East Branch. Built in 1855 by L. H. Gale and purchased by George Gray in 1879. 800,000 ft per year. Lamoill News 5/8/1 878 - Gale and Gray have succeeded in cutting out all their logs, a thing they have not been able to do before since the first year they built the mill. 7/24/1878 - George Gray, Esq. has full blooded Durham calves from the celebrated Joslyn herd. George Gray from Elmore, age 38, married Sarah Hargin, age 22, from E. Montpelier on 9/10/1862. His parents were Nathaniel and Sylvia Gray from Rhode Island and her parents were James and Sarah Hargin from Calais.
1878 Ladd, Mr. Hill Ladd
Sawmill Roads
Lamoille News - 5/29/1878 - Capt. A. P. Slayton has contracted with Worcester to furnish material and build the bridge across the branch near Mr. Ladd’s saw mill for $650.00.
1878 Vigeant, Noah Hardwood Flats
lumber
F-100 Map Rd 31 - Farmed 100 acres -
News and Citizen 11/2/1898 - Noah Vigeant has some men in the woods cutting and skidding. One of his men, a Mr. Luce, was badly hurt.
1878 Hi’l, Robert G. Hill RGHiII
Saw Mill Map-Rd
23 F-bOO -Map - Rd 23 - Prop saw mill,
manufacturer and dealer lumber, breeder of Cotswold sheep, 15 dairy cows, farmed 1,000 acres. This land was previously owned by Henry C. Parker. His father was Edwin Hill who came to Elmore in 1826. Ref I pg 84- Mill near head of the North Branch. Operated both by steam and water. Cut 1,500,000 feet per year, dressed, matched, and ready for market. Bought rights to the patent for butter tubs as reported in News Dealer, 1868. His sons were Ernest and Edwin B. Hill who were almost drowned in the Puget Sound, Washingotn. His daughter was Mrs. John Crawford from Dansville, N. Y. Granddaughter was Miss Jean Crawford (See News and Citizen 1/1/1891.)
1878 Lake area Starch
Factory 6
The Starch Factory was located off the Emore Pond Road not far from the Wolcott town line. According to the book Vermont Under Four Flags, loads of potatoes were dumped into large troughs and washed. They were put through grinding machines and strained and then put into vats to settle. The water was drawn off and the pulpy starch on drying racks. When dry, the starch was broken into lumps. The Starch factory was coverted into a sawmill in 1881. By 1883, it was called the Woodbury and Ward Sawmill, owned by Chet Ward and Urban Woodbury. It has the capacity to cut 1,000 feet of lumber per hour and had planing and matching machines and shingle saw.

1897 Slayton, F. L. Hardwood Flats — A. P. & F. L. Mill
News and Citizen - 11-10-1897-F. L. Slayton’s new water wheel was brought
to his mill yesterday. 7-23-1900 - Frank L. Slayton’s farm burned Friday morning (July 20) from kitchen chimney fire that went unnoticed. The building was put up by ex-judge Kelly and was regarded as among the best in town. 3-17-1897 - F. L. Slayton was in Montpelier last week to get a new set of works for his mill. 12-8-1897 - F. L. Slaton has damage to his mill - a bursting of the water box and flume. His son is Herbert Slayton. News and Citizen 4-21-1 897 - Slayton’s mill has stopped running for a few days on account of a hole in the dam. F. L. Slayton had the misfortune to step on an old rusty nail and is now nursing a very bad foot.
1897 Slayton, F. L. Hardwood Flats A.P.&F.L. mill
Entertainment News and Citizen - July 21,
1897 - F. L. Slayton and his assistants have all parted with their moustaches and we must say that for beauty, Frank takes the cake as he looks more like a pumpkin Jack 0 Lantern than ever. 12/8/1 897 - The high water of two weeks ago did a great deal of damage to the mill of F. L. Slayton, bursting out the sides of the new water box and flume which he had nearly completed, breaking the large gate and doing other damage but he has them nearly repaired. 10/20/1897 - F. L. Slayton is getting ready to put in a new waterwheel. 12/15/1897 - F. L. Slayton has a two year old Jersey heifer which he purchased from Henry Parker from which last week he made 14 ounces of butter from 4 quarts of milk. 1/5/1898 - Frank Slayton worked hard enough at the mill Monday that he perspired very freely without having on any coat.
1897 Hollenbeck, P.A.Capt East Elmore
E.Elmore Saw Photo 48
Fire 1897 - East Elmore Sawmill burned
down. It was operated by P. A. Hollenbeck at the time. News and Citizen -1-20-1 897 - This place was visited by fire Jan. 9 when the steam mill and covered bridge were burned. The mill was insured for $3,000 but the bridge is a total loss to the town. 10-24-1900 - Capt. Hollenbeck has started up his steam mill again after a few weeks of idleness. The whistle and hum of machinery can be heard. 11-14-1900 - Capt. P. A. Hollenbeck has finished sawing and has dismantled his mill for the winter. 4-16-1902 - P. A. Hollenbeck started his mill last week.. 4-30-1 902 - The steam mill has been running with a fury force of men the past two weeks. J. F. Parker handles the lever and T. Symonds runs the engine for Capt. Hollenbeck as usual.
1897 Waite, S. W. Morrisville
lumber/saleman
News and Citizen, Jan. 6, 1897 - S. W. Waite was in Elmore on Monday looking after his lumber interest. 5/5/1897 - Capt. S. B. Waite was in town the first of the week looking after his lumber business. 6/21/1897 - Mr. Waite sold a U.S. separator to Joseph Merchant which was the fourth one he sold mt he Ipast few weeks See Frederick Rand Child for more information.
1897 East Elmore
Lumbering
News and Citizen, March 17, 1898 - The lumbermen are hauling logs with a vim and a zest that will sure to land them all on the pond if the sledding holds a little longer.
1897 General Lumbering
Weather News and Citizen, Jan 27, 1897 - Snow finally
came and lumbering has commenced in earnest under the carriage and his leg broken just above the ankle. The mill showed their sympathy for Frank by making up a purse of $10.00 for him.
1902 Robinson,E.E. Lake area
Robinson Steam
News and Citizen - 10-29-1 902 - W. A. Spaulding has sold his place to Mr. Robinson who is to run the lumber business here. 11-12-1902 - Robinson brothers are busy putting timber together for the addition to the saw mill, 2-17-1904 - 20 teams busy hauling logs to Robinson Brothers mill. 2-14-1906 - Largest load of logs reported drawn here this season was delivered to the Robinson’s mill last Thursday. The load was drawn by Harry Stowell’s lot by William Peo’s team driven by Arthur Stowell. The distance from lot to mill was 3 miles. 4-1-1903 - E. E. Robinson is wiring Stowe Lumber Co. Mill for electric light.
1902 Robinson, E. E. Lake area
Robinson Steam
News and Citizen - 10-29-1 902 - W. A. Spaulding has sold his place to Mr. Robinson who is to run the lumber business here. 11-12-1902 - Robinson brothers are busy putting timber together for the addition to the saw mill, 2-17-1904 -20 teams busy hauling logs to Robinson Brothers mill. 2-14-1906 - Largest load of logs reported drawn here this season was delivered to the Robinson’s mill last Thursday. The load was drawn by Harry Stowell’s lot by William Peo’s team driven by Arthur Stowell. The distance from lot to mill was 3 miles. 4-1-1903 - E. E. Robinson is wiring Stowe Lumber Co. Mill for electric lights.
1902 Robinson,E.E. Lake area
Robinson Steam
News and Citizen - 10-29-1902 - W. A. Spaulding has sold his place to Mr. Robinson who isto run the lumber business here. 11-12-1902 - Robinson brothers are busy putting timber together for the addition to the saw mill, 2-17-1904-20 teams busy hauling logs to Robinson Brothers mill. 2-14-1906 - Largest load of logs reported drawn here this season was delivered to the Robinson’s mill last Thursday. The load was drawn by Harry Stowell’s lot by William Peo’s team driven by Arthur Stowell. The distance from lot to mill was 3 miles. 4-1-1903 - E. E. Robinson is wiring Stowe Lumber Co. Mill for electric lights.
1903 Lake area Stowe
Lumber
News and Citizen - 1/7/1903 - Commence sawing at the Stowe Lumber Co. Mill. They are working getting clapboard machinery set up. - On March 18, Stowe Lumber Co. are running their mill both day and night. On April 1, E. E. Robinson is wiring Stowe Lumber Co.’s Mill for electric lights. On May 27th several acres of valuable timber land have been burned and the Stowe Lumber Co. which is located in Elmore, are now suffering from the effects of the fire. June 24th - James Fitzgerald working for Stowe Lumber Company. The Stowe Lumber Co. are running their logs down the pond and brook to the mill, getting ready to put in their new boiler and engine as soon as it shall arrive. 10-7-1903 - the whistle at the Stowe Lumber Co. new steam mill sounded for the first time Saturday night at 5 p.m
1903 Fitzgerald, George Lake area
Robinson Steam
News and Citizen - 10-21-1903 - George Fitzgerald started working at the Robinson’s steam mill. 5/30/1 906 - George Fitzgerald has closed his labors with Stowe Lumber.

1904 Lake area Stowe
Lumber
News and Citizen 4-6-1904 - The Stowe Lumber Company has changed from steam to water power while the high water lasts. 4-13-1904 - Stowe Lumber Co. commenced shipping their lumber last Saturday. 4-20-1904 - Stowe Lumber Co. unable to run full time on account of breaking the carriage. 5-4-1904 - The Stow Lumber Co. bought new matcher and expect to get it here this week. - May 25, 1904 - The Stowe Lumber Co. is running logs from the pond
1905 Symonds, Thomas Austin & Mary East Elmore
Symonds Mill Photo 39-70
Genealogy Unsure
whether
Symonds mill was located in Pleasant Valley or East Elmore. News and Citizen on 4/30/1 905 stated that Symonds ran engine for Capt. Hollenbeck as usual. Mary Ellan Spaulding was his wife and resided in Worcester at the time her 2nd child was born, Harold Merton Symonds, July
23, 1904.
1905 Dodge, Charles and Mabel Carpenter Lake area school mill
Genealogy News
and Citizen 12/11/1 901 - Miss Mabel Carpenter and Charles Dodge were married 12/1 0/1 901 at her parents, William Carpenter. Miss Carpenter was a teacher at the Pond School 1913- 2-28-1 906 -“ Logging is getting to be a thing of the past in Elmore. The record has been broken. Herb Shepard did it last Saturday with Charles Dodge’s team and it was the second time Charles’ old horses had been on traverse sleds this season. The measured 3,108 feet was a beauty to look at. Charles says that this is the last pull for the team and in the future, they will be known as ‘has beens’.” Charles’ occupation is listed as teamster. His wife is Mabel Carpenter who was born in Elmore. See Marion Clara Dodge. News and Citizen 4-25-1 907 - Charles Dodge moved from E. W. Colby’s house to Morristown.
1905 Dodge, Hiram Lake area Ward
Mill Genealogy News
and Citizen 1-25-1 905 - Hiram Dodge pulled a large pine from the Bacon property to the Ward Mill. Hiram is Miss Clara Dodge’s brother.
1915 Senesac, Lewis Merriam
Senesac mill
MorrisviUe Messenger 4/21/1 915- The Selectmen are building a new bridge near the Senesac mill. 6/16/1915 - Lewis Senesac are family are moving to Vergenses
1915 Bedell, D. H. Morrisville
Senesac MIII Real
Estate Morrisville Messenger 12-8-1915 - D.
H. Bedell of Morrisville is making repairs on the mu Ihe recently purchased of L. F. Senesac.
1974 East Elmore Mill
Pond Area Photo 51-52
Photo 51 shows East Elmore Log
Pond and Photo 52 taken by Robert Hegerman and J. Phillip Rich on 4-28-1974 shows view North of Old Mill Pond Area. News and Citizen 2/28/1906 - Logging is getting to be a thing of the past at Elmore.