1883 Doty, Samuel B. Lake area
Road 3 - 15 dairy cows, 1,000 tree sugar orchard
1878 Merritt, Francis S. Merriam
Rd 7 - Francis Merritt had 150 tree apple orchard. He had 150 acres.
1904 Bacon, Oliver D. Lake area
May be Oliver Bacon’s boats. (See photographs) He had rowboats to let .Church History He was a surveyor, had 12 dairy cows, lumberman,
300 tree apple orchard,
owned Mt. Lookout - 420 acre farm.
1878 Pierce, George Four Corners
Cor. of 15- 300 tree sugar- 10 dairy cows, farmed 100 acres
1883 Ellsworth, Hebron Elmore Mt.
Road 22 - 300 tree sugar orchard -farmer - 150 acres
1883 Churchill, Henry H.&Welta? Hatch Elmore Mt. Rd
Road 22 - Lister, J.P., wood grower 30 sheep, 8 dairy cows, 500 tree sugar orchard, farmer - 50 acres.
Grimes, Addison A.
Road 12 - 20 dairy cows, 500 tree sugar Orchard - farmer - leases 200 acres from Leonard Grimes
1897 Slayton, F. L. Hardwood Flats
News and Citizen - 11-10-1897 - F. L. Slayton’s new water wheel was brought to his mill yesterday. 7-23-1900 - Frank L. Slayton’s farm burned Friday morning (July 20) from kitchen chimney fire that went unnoticed. The building was put up by ex-judge Kelly and was regarded as among the best in town. 3-17-1897 - F. L. Slayton was in Montpelier last week to get a new set of works for his mill. 12-8-1897 - F. L. Slaton has damage to his mill - a bursting of the water box and flume. His son is Herbert Slayton. News and Citizen 4-21-1 897 - Slayton’s mill has stopped running for a few days on account of a hole in the dam. F. L. Slayton had the misfortune to step on an old rusty nail and is now nursing a very bad foot
Slayton, Azro P. and Lucy B. East Elmore
Carpenter and joiner and bridge builder. Slayton and Son were prop of saw mill located in SE. on Hardwood Platte Brook was built in 1860 being started on Thanksgiving of that year. (not far from where brook nears E. Elmore Road. (pg 84,Ref 1). He was a manufacturer and dealer in hard and soft wood lumber, and dressed. The mill was built in 1860 and started running on Thanksgiving Day. Circular saw. 300,000 ft per year
1897 Slayton, F. L. Hardwood Flats
News and Citizen - July 21, 1897 - F. L. Slayton and his assistants have all parted with their moustaches and we must say that for beauty, Frank takes the cake as he looks more like a pumpkin Jack 0 Lantern than ever. 12/8/1897 - The high water of two weeks ago did a great deal of damage to the mill of F. L. Slayton, bursting out the sides of the new water box and flume
which he had nearly completed, breaking the large gate and doing other damage but he has them nearly repaired. 10/20/1 897 - F. L. Slayton is getting ready to put in a new waterwheel. 12/15/1897 - F. L. Slayton has a two year old Jersey heifer which he purchased from Henry Parker from which last week he made 14 ounces of butter from 4 quarts of milk. 1/5/1898 - Frank Slayton worked hard enough at the mill Monday that he perspired very freely without having on any coat.
1878 Brown, Curtis C.. Pleasant VaNey Albee
Map - Rd 7 -Curtis Brown, born 1841 - died 1916. He was the son of Thomas Brown. He lived where P. Knight lived until
Brown’s son was Chester Brown. News and Citizen 3-15-1899 - C. C. Brown sold 6
Bacon, Oliver D. Lake area
News and Citizen 10/29/1 885 - 0. D. Bacon remembers his less fortunate friends by dividing his gifts of grapes and pears. He has gathered apples from 3 of his trees - 15 bushels each.
1883 Tift,JohnW. Lake area
Road 2- Agent for Singer Sewing Machines and attachment. Vermont Citizen 10/9/1873 - News and Citizen 11/26/1885 - Our blacksmith shop has been turned into a coopershop by J. W. Tift.
William Lake area
1878 Morse, John East Elmore
Lamoille News 7/17/1878 - John Morse has purchased a set of new blacksmith tools which means we are going to have a shop in place News and Citizen 11/30/1 898 - John Morse while skating, broke through the ice and was rescued by 0. E. Dodge and Amos Powers.. 1/25/1 899 - John Morse has sold his work horse to Henry Vigeant.
Wildie and Kate M Bailey East Elmore
News and Citizen, Wilda Pilbin is moving into the house near the Symond’s shingle mill. 11/10/1897 - Wildie Pilbin has moved his family into the Hollow. 11/24/1897 - P. A. Hollenbeck has rented his shop to Wildie Pilbin, who is preparing to do all kinds of repairing and horse shoeing at short notice. 12/ill 897 - Wildie and George Pilbin are having a good run in their repair shop which indicates a good business for them in the future. 3-22-1899 - Wildie Pilbin has rented the parsonage for one year and moved in there. 1/16/1901 Wildie Pilbin, who expected he was going into the land of corn and wine when he moved to Worcester last fall, has come to the conclusion that there are worse places than East Elmore and is moving back. 3/20/1901 - We understand that Wildie Pilbin has bought the shingle mill of GA Morse.
1898 Richardson, Horatio Lake area
News and Citizen 11/30/1 898- Horatio Richardson has rented the blacksmith shop of Mrs. Griswold, formerly occupied by W. W. Talbert and is ready for business. He came well recommended as a first class blacksmith.
1904 Kaiser, William P. and Nellie
Adams Lake area
“News and Citizen 9/28/1904 - WIN Kaiser has moved his family into the house recently
purchased by Mrs. Peake. 12-7-1904 - Mr. Kaiser has his blacksmith shop completed and commenced doing business. The blacksmith shop was located where the present day picnic
table stands near the dam. Wheelock owned the house prior to Kaiser. There was also another house there called the “Wedge House”
1974 East Elmore
Blacksmith Photo 43-44
East Elmore Blacksmith Shop and photo of site of blacksmith shop taken in April 1974 by Hagerman
1895 Hollenbeck, P.A.Capt East Elmore
Boarding House Photo 42
E. Elmore (Plc #4) Site of Hollenbeck House just East of Morse Mill. Photo taken of J. Phillip Rich in fore ground, standing in road. Picture taken by Hagerman
1812 Town, Samuel Lake area
Samuel Town was involved in the 1812 War. He was a bricklayer by trade. News and Citizen on 9-2-1903 stated that Samuel Towne, the veteran brick-layer and his son, Will, of Morrisville laid the brickwork for the engine and boiler at the Stowe Lumber Co.’s mill.
Holden, Orrin East Elmore
Farmed 600 acres. He built both Charles Dugar and Robert Boyce’s houses
1871 Clark, C. W. Butter
News Dealer 1871 - Elmore - C. W. Clark has made from 5 cows since March 14, 1870 to
January 1, 1871, 1214 pounds of butter besides selling $7 worth of milk and using what butter, milk and cream was wanted in a family of three.
1897 Lake area
News and Citizen, Jan 27, 1897 - The butter box shop has run 4-5 days lately.
1800 Merriam, Isaac Hill
Son of Joshua Merriam- Isaac operated a wooden butter tub shop at the 4 Corner near Stan Merriam where Emery’s shack now stands. These were made with an ax and a shane all by hand. Later he became a Hyde Park farmer.
1847 Bishop, Ira Hardwood Flats
In News Dealer 1868 It was reported that Ira Bishop bought rights to the butter tubs with 8 other
business men in Elmore. Ira Bishop represented Elmore in the State’s General Assemby as a
republican 1861-1 862
Luman M. Merriam
Major, 8th Vt. Reg (Desc of Col. Elmore, See Don and Beulah Grout). In News Dealer, 1868, it was reported that L.M. Grout bought rights to the butter tubs with 8 other Elmore businessmen. He represented Elmore in the General Assemby of the State in 1856-57 as a Republican.
Sold rights to the butter tub patent. From the Internet - Vermont in the Civil War - According to the 1864 and 1865 Adjutant and Inspector General’s report, H. B. Shaw was drafted but paid $300.00 commutation and did not serve. Lamoille Newsdealer - he was in Eleventh Sub District
7/23/1863. Vermont Citizen, April 17, 1873 - H. B. Shaw has 17 cotswold ewes which has brought him 27 lambs. He has the finest herd of dairy cows in town and is filling up a large creamery into which he is introducing the jewett pan.
1878 Delano, William W. Elmore Mt.
20 dairy cows, farmed 225 acres. Previously owned by Jonathan Bridge - now Keith Farm..In
News Dealer, 1868, it was reported that W. W. Delano bought rights to butter tubs with 8 other
Elmore business men. In an advertisement it stated “tub is better than a keg. Keeps butter under
1898 Spaulding, Martin Lake area
News and Citizen 2-23-1 898 - Spaulding butter tub shop has started running on full time again owing to a rush of orders. 6/22/1 898 - Martin Spaulding’s butter box shop took fire Friday and it was with great difficulty that it was extinguished before entirely consumed. 10/26/1898 - Clarissa Spaulding is the mother to Martin Spaulding. 6/7/1899 - During the fire of Martin Spaulding’s butter box on Tuesday, Gary Wolcott, Earl Talbut and Sherman Quimby were prostrated by heat and were in an unconscious condition for some time. 8/2/1899 - Martin Spaulding has secured the old school house near Li. Camp’s residence for a place to restart his butter box manufacturing and work has commenced. Martin is bound to get there.
1891 Spaulding, Clinton Lake area
News and Citizen 7-30-1891 - While drawing lumber to the new camp (Idlewild?) last Thursday Clinton Spaulding, a 12 year old met with an accident which might easily have proved fatal. Some of the sticks slid against the horse which broke into a run. Clinton was dashed against a tree and part of the load fell on him. The men at the camp witnessed the affair and thought this was the end of Clinton but upon taking the lumber from him, he was found alive. No bones were broken. Clinton is one of the best and most enterprising of lads.
1883 Griswold, Luther Lake area
1904 Lake area
News and Citizen 6-29-1904 - Cooperataive Creamery being discussed. It was voted the name should be “Lake Elmore Creamery”. The business will be started as soon as possible. $1500 is necessary to start the enterprise. Of this amount $1,000 was raised. The location will be at Elmore, but the exact location has not been decided. 7-6-1904 - Officers of the Co-operative Creamery - President: H.C. Parker; VP: 0. D. Bacon; Sec: Frank Slayton; Rec.
Sec: Mrs. Frank Slayton; Treas: C. S. Hastings; auditors, Frank Merriam and George Hastings.
9/21/1904 - The machinery for the
creamery has come, including churns, vats, boiler and engine.
4/24/1912 - The Lake Elmore
Creamery Co. paid 33 cents for butter for two weeks.
Elmore and Wolcott have a large copper bed
1891 Lake Area Copper
News and Citizen 11/12/1 891 - It is said that Mr. Surat, son of the superintendent of the Wolcott mines, ha purchased bonded privilege of testing copper deposits upon 0. D. Bacon’s farm for two years, at the end of which he stipulates to pay Mr. Bacon $2,000 for a perpetual lease provided the deposit proves sufficiently rich. 11/12/1891 - Parties in the employ of Mr. Surat began biasing with dynamite upon 0. D. Bacon’s land last Saturday in quest of copper deposits.
1897 Hastings, C. S. Lake area
7/6/1904 - Treasurer of Elmore
1898 Camp, Elmer E. and Ida Tucker
- E. E. Camp is butter maker in the Creamery
Parker, Henry C.
News and Citizen - 1/22/1 891 - Henry Parker (earning $200) and Joseph Camp are driving lumber to Morrisville for R. G. Hill. 11-7-1900 - Henry Parker has moved into his new house. The saw mill is running full time. Those wanting saw dust come at once as the stock of logs will be finished in a few days. He is president of Elmore Creamery. 10/22/1891 - C. S. and Henry Parker have raised 710 bushels of rutabagas this season on a tifle less than 1 1 1/4 acres of land.
Bacon, Oliver D. Lake area
House on hill owned by Oliver Bacon. News and Citizen reported on 1-25-1 905 that C. W. Ward cut a pine on the Bacon property that measured 2,933 board feet. The tree from the stump was 130 feet high. . News and Citizen 7/6/1 904 - He was vice president of the Elmore Creamery.
1904 Olmstead, Samuel N. Hardwood
S.N. Olmstead bought rights to butter tubs patent with 9 other Elmore residents in 1868. News and Citizen 4-20-1 904 -
1904 Hastings, George Lake area
News and Citizen - George Hastings was auditor of Elmore Creamery
1898 Haskell, C. E. East Elmore Elmore Mill
Haskell built this mill back after Hollenbeck’s mill burned out - “Fell in”. Photo 54 shows boiler room in sawmill - East Elmore saw mill. News and Citizen 7/1 5/1 908 - C. E. Haskell has about a dozen men working at the mill now and expects to begin active operations in the manufacture of chair stock soon. He has a contract for the production which insures a ready market at all times
points to continued industrial activity in this section. Mr. HaskeN is making extensive repairs at the boarding house and
store and will soon have both ready for business.
1897 Hollenbeck, P.A.Capt East Elmore
E.Elmore Saw Photo 48
1897 - East Elmore Sawmill burned
down. It was operated by P. A. Hollenbeck at the time. News and Citizen -1-20-1
897 - This place was visited by fire Jan. 9 when the steam mill and covered
bridge were burned. The mill was insured for $3,000 but the bridge is a total
loss to the town. 10-24-1900 - Capt. Hollenbeck has started up his steam mill
again after a few weeks of idleness. The whistle and hum of machinery can be
heard. 11-14-1900 - Capt. P. A. Hollenbeck has finished sawing and has
dismantled his mill for the winter. 4-16-1902 - P. A. Hollenbeck started his
mill last week.. 4-30-1902 - The steam mill has been
running with a fury force of men the past two weeks. J. F. Parker handles the
lever and T. Symonds runs the engine for Capt. Hollenbeck as usual.
Elmore Saw — Photo 7
1881 Lake area
Elmore Saw Photo 9
1881 Lake area Elmore
Saw Photo 10
1881 Lake area
Elmore Saw Photo 11
Raising smoke stack at Elmore Saw Mill
1903 Hall, Henry Lake area
Henry Hall is the one in the photo #72 with arms folded. News and Citizen March 24, 1897 - Henry Hall has taken the Bert Grimes farm. News and Citizen dated 8-5-1903 stated that Henry Hall purchased a farm from Lyman L. Camp in Elmore. On 10-21-1903 John DeFaria purchased Henry Hall’s farm.
1903 Fish, Joe Lake area Elmore
Saw Photo 72
Joe Fish is the one sifting in Photo 72
1898 Lake area Elmore
Abbott John & Abbie Bedell
Abbott Amsden’s occupation - fireman
1863 Gale, Lyman A. Pleasant
Lamoille News 4-24-1 878 - Quite an accident occurred in Gale and Gray’s sawmill. When the man took away the last board, he left the end of an iron dog out in the reverse motion of the carriage. It caught on the back side of the saw breaking the saw in pieces The pieces flew in every direction imbedding themselves in the sides and roof of the building. Considerable damage was done to the mill. Mr. Gale, who was running the saw got hit in the head. 8/6/1891 -
L. A.Gale bought timber land on the west side of Eagle Ledge Road from George LeBarron.
1878 Gale, Lyman A. Pleasant
Map - Rd 9 - Lyman Gale was 3rd Selectman; represented Elmore in the State’s General Assemby as a republican in 1876; ,Prop. saw mill, manure and dealer lumber - 8 dairy cows
-owned farm with 170 acres. Ref 1, page 84-L.A. Gale Sawmill was located in East Elmore on East Branch. Built in 1871 by George Gray and Mr. Gale. 500,000 ft lumber per year, mostly dressed.
1883 Straw, William Merriam
F-50 Road 9 - Farmer - 50 acres - Lamoille News - 10/23/1878 - William Straw employed in the Gale Mill.
1897 Hollenbeck, P.A. Capt East
News and Citizen 10/20/1 897 - Hollenbeck is giving his buildings a general repairing together with the raising of his store up to a two story one and is putting on a flat roof of fire proof material. 11/24/1897 - P. A. Hollenbeck has rented his shop to Wildie Pilbin, who is preparing to do all kinds of repairing and horse shoeing at short notices.
1897 Spaulding, Walter A.& lnez Silloway
Lake area Store News and Citizen - October 20, 1897 reports that W. A.
Spaulding’s store is nearly complete and nearly doubles in capacity. December
22, 1897 - W. A. Spaulding is fixing up his store with paint and wallpaper. - W.
A. Spaulding has sold his place to Mr. Robinson who is to run the lumber
business here. 10/20/1897 - The addition toW. A.
Spaulding’s store is nearly completed and is a great improvement and it
enlarges his store to nearly double the capacity.
1967 Allaire, Bernard Lake area
From Times-Argus - August 8, 1967 - General Store owner and postmaster.
William & Gertrude Lake area
News and Citizen - 9-21-1 904 -“ William Peo’s barn was consumed by fire. The cause was flying cinders carried about 1/4 mile”. 1-26-1904 - Ed Fitzgerald sold his farm to Mr. Poe.
2-14-1 906 - Largest load of logs reported drawn this season by William Peo’s team. The News and Citizen - 2-13-1907 states that a Gertrude Peo has a new piano from McKannon Bros. 5/8/1 907- Will Peo had one hand cut badly on circular saw. 10/31/1906 - Mrs. Wm. Peo has got in a lot of new goods. Everyone call and see the goods, even if they do not purchase.
Miller, George 0.
News and Citizen 1898 -F. L. Slayton purchased the old hotel property of the J. R. Landon estate and sold the building to George Miller formerly of Eden. Mr. Miller contemplates fixing it up. Morrisville Messenger 9-8-1915 - When he moved to Elmore he cnducted a grain and feed store until 1913. He held several town offices and served his town faithfully.
Benjamin F. East Elmore
Town Road 28 -. He was Justice of Peace, Notary public, general agent for Vt. Farm Machine
Co. and Agent for fruit and ornamental trees He was also a breeder of Grade Jersey dairy
cows and farmed 170 acres He owned the mail route from Wolcott to East Elmore. Ben
Morse’s house was located where J. P. Rich’s deer camp was located.
1878 Gray, George, Esq. and Sarah Hargin Pleasant Valley
Map-Rd 9 prop saw-mill - manure and dealer dressed lumber. Breeder - Durham cattle. Farm 600 acres. Ref 1, Pg 84- The Gray’s Sawmill was located in NE on East Branch. Built in 1855 by L. H. Gale and purchased by George Gray in 1879. 800,000 ft per year. Lamoill News 5/8/1878 - Gale and Gray have succeeded in cutting out all their logs, a thing they have not been able to do before since the first year they built the mill. 7/24/1878 - George Gray, Esq. has full blooded Durham calves from the celebrated Joslyn herd.
1897 Lake area
News and Citizen, August 11, 1897 - Judging by the number of loads that have been drawn to Momsville during the past week, Elmore must be a good town for hay.
1904 Moulton, Fred Lake area Hote
News and Citizen - Fred Moulton spent Sunday in Myron Spaulding’s hotel on Elmore Mountain.
1898 Wiltshire, George M. Lake
News and Citizen - 1/29/1 885 - George Wiltshire is cutting ice at 2 cents a cake.
1864 Ward, Bertram S.& Grace
Townsend Hardwood Flats
Bertram S. Ward and Grace News and Citizen 1/5/1 897 - B. W. Ward and William A. Carpenter are breaking out the roads in good shape with the roller and four horses after a fearful storm and blow of three days duration. Thermometer registered 24 degrees below zero Tuesday morning. 4/3/1 901 - Bert Ward and William Carpenter are filling their ice houses; Bert says the ice is nice and mellow.
Carpenter, William A. East Elmore
Bert Ward and William Carpenter ware filling their ice houses. 10/29/1885 - Will Carpenter has engaged to work for G. A. Morse for one year and has moved his family into the house vacated by E. Atkins.
Vermont Citizen, May 15, 1873 - Parties from abroad are in town looking at the iron beds with a view of ascertaining their proximity to a railroad, shoul there ever be one built by the Pond. These beds have been sufficiently developed to determine their extent and quality of iron, both of which proved quite satisfactory.
From Iron Mining in Elmore by W. K. Sanders, Morrisville in the Vermont Quarterly July 1953 - Deposit 1 - Easterly from Lake Elmore and easterly about 100 feet from the main highway near South end of Lake. Deposit 2 - Near Little Elmore Pond off old Cross Mountain Road on Mountain Side of Pond.
1878 Ladd, Mr. Hill
Lamoille News - 5/29/1878 - Capt. A. P. Slayton has contracted with Worcester to furnish material and build the bridge across the branch near Mr. Ladd’s saw mill for $650.00.
Morrisville Messenger 1/1 3/1 915 - The library board met Saturday at the town clerks office to select new books for the library. Mrs. Bert Merriam has presented the library with several books. The Pocohontas Club has presented the library with 63 books. In Historical Sketch (article 25) it is stated that a public library was established in 1913 by vote of the town with the assistance of the Free Public Library Commission. In 1939 it contained 600 volumes
Noah Hardwood Flats
Map Rd 31 - Farmed 100 acres - News and Citizen 11/2/1898 - Noah Vigeant has some men in the woods cutting and skidding. One of his men, a Mr. Luce, was badly hurt.
Road 10 - Lumber Jobber - farmer - 39 acres
Albert East Elmore
News and Citizen 4/30/1891 - Albert Howieson moves back and takes charge of Putnam’s lumber mill.
1897 Waite, S. W. Morrisville
News and Citizen, Jan. 6, 1897 - S. W. Waite was in Elmore on Monday looking after his lumber interest. 5/5/1897 - Capt. S. B. Waite was in town the first of the week looking after his lumber business. 6/21/1897 - Mr. Waite sold a U.S. separator to Joseph Merchant which was the fourth one he sold in the past few weeks.
1897 East Elmore
News and Citizen, March 17, 1898- The lumbermen are hauling logs with a vim and a zest that will sure to land them all on the pond if the sledding holds a little longer.
News and Citizen, Jan 27, 1897 - Snow finally came and lumbering has commenced in earne
1883 Churchill, Nathan T. Elmore
Road 22 - Machinist, farmer - farms for William Churchill - 170 acres
1891 Town, George Lake area
meat cart Delivery.
News and Citizen 5/7/1 891 - George Town’s new meat cart has made its appearance and he will make weekly trip if well patronized.
1883 Hubbell, Nye S. East Elmore
Mfg butter tubs
Road 27 - Manufacturer of butter tubs
1792 Leach, Joseph Lake area Mill
Joseph Leech and Isaac appeared interested in starting a mill according to the town records - “The first mill in Elmore was probably near where the dam is now. According to the First Book of Town Records, on June 27, 1798, it was “voted that the selectmen shall have the power to lease out to Joseph Leech and Isaac Leech the privilege of building a sawmill on pond brook in the highway”. The wording “in the highway” probably means in the highway right of way. Elmore’s roads were surveyed 6 rods wide, twice what most towns’ right-of-ways were.
1905 Dodge, Charles and Mabel
Carpenter Lake area mill News and Citizen - 2-28-1 906 -“ Logging is getting to
be a thing of the past in Elmore. The record has been broken. Herb Shepard did it last Saturday with Charles Dodge’s team and
it was the second time Charles’ old horses had been on traverse sleds this
season. The measured 3,108 feet was a beauty to look at. Charles says that this
is the last pull for the team and in the future, they will be known as ‘has beens’.” Charles’ occupation is listed as teamster.
1895 East Elmore
Mill Pond Area
Photo 57 shows a mill pond in 1895 in East Elmore. Great logs were sent down the East Elmore brook in springtime to Wolcott. But lumbering on a large scale has long since disappeared here, and with it disappeared the village of East Elmore. The place is now a wilderness.
1974 East Elmore Mill
Pond Area Photo 51-52
Photo 51 shows East Elmore Log Pond and Photo 52 taken by Robert Hegerman and J. Phillip
Rich on 4-28-1974 shows view North of Old Mill Pond Area. News and Citizen 2/28/1 906 -
Logging is getting to be a thing of the past at Elmore.
1897 Child, Frederick Rand Hyde
News and Citizen 11/1 897 - He started a lumber business in 1887, selling lumber on commission. The Child and Waite Lumber Co. during the last three years has operated in Elmore where they have timber land. The business has rapidly increased and the aggregate of their sales last year was nearly 5 million feet. He lives in Hyde Park. 4-20-1898 - Ice disappeared from Lake Elmore on April 17th and Child and Waite logs are coming to the lower end of the pond in good shape.
1898 Swift, Ina East Elmore
News and Citizen 5-25-1 898- Miss Ina Swift has a new wheel. 9/1 901 - Miss Ina Swift has returned from Boston and has accepted a position in a millinery store in Montpelier.
The first mill in Elmore was probably near where the dam is now. According to the First Book of Town Records, on June 27, 1798, it was “voted that the selectmen shall have the power to lease out to Joseph Leech and Isaac Leech the privilege of building a sawmill on pond brook in the highway”. The wording “in the highway” probably means in the highway right of way. Elmore’s roads were surveyed 6 rods wide, twice what most towns’ right-of-ways were.
1790 Olmsted, Seth & Ruth Four
One of the first settlers, Seth Olmstead came from Norwalk, Ct. to Elmore in 1790 and located on the farm that was later owned by grandson, Samuel N. Olmstead. . Seth Olmstead built the first hotel in town in 1813 on their farm now occupied by Merle Tallman.
1813 Olmsted, Seth & Ruth Four
Olmstead Hotel Photo 29
Seth Olmstead came from Norwalk, Ct. to Elmore in 1790 and located on the farm that was later owned by grandson, Samuel N. Olmstead, where he built and kept the first hotel in the town, opening the same in 1813.
1899 Bailey, C. V.and Mrs. Hardwood Flats
News and Citizen 9/1 7/1 891 - C. V. Bailey has bought Henry Vigeant’s farm, the Maxfleld place, near the school house in District 8. .2/20/1901 - C. V. Bailey is in the fish and oyster business. 8/7/1901 - C. V. Bailey selling fruit trees in Rochester, N.Y
News and Citizen 4/23/1 891 - W. W. Peck’s mill at Elmore sawed in five hours 391 logs and stopped once to file the saw.
1883 Vermont Citizen, 5/8/1 873 - Seth
Daniels and son have rented Judson Parker’s farm for
1863 Averill, Anthony W. Lake area
News Dealer- 12/1 611 863 - Advertisement of Elmore Pond House - conveyances to any part of the county on short notice -A. W. Averill, Proprietor
1873 Stone, Harvey Lake area
Vermont Citizen, 5/8/1 873- Mr. Harvey Stone has rented the hotel - May 15, 1873 - Hotel at the pond is now open for the reception of the travelling public under the proprietorship of Mr. Harvey Stone. Mr. Stone is a gentleman of wide experience and knows how to please his patrons.
1885 Lake area
News and Citizen 1/1/1885 - The dance at the opening of the Pond House Thursday evening cannot be recorded as a success financially, there being only 11 paying couples present.
1895 Hollenbeck, P.A.Capt East Elmore
Post Office Photo 41-47
August 1, 1895 - Mill Pond -P. A.
Hollenbeck occupied house at time. 12/5/1900 the East
Elmore Post Office was moved from B. F. Morse to P.A. Hollenbeck’sDecember 12,1900.
Cattle buyers from Boston were here. Hollenbeck sold four head at a fair price. “Do not get
scared and give cattle away if you are short of hay. The times are reviving all over N.E. with
McKinley re-elected. Factories are starting up in the East, the poor class will want a quart of milk
now that they are beginning to earn and it will take many quarts to go around, you know, and the traders are coming this way to buy the cows.” (News and Citizen 12/12/90.)
1897 Hollenbeck, P.A Capt East
News and Citizen, Jan. 6, 1897 - PA Hollenbeck has a new post office sign over his store door.
1897 East Elmore
News and Citizen, Jan 6, 1897- The mail leaves East Elmore for Wolcott at 8:11 am. and leaves Wolcott on arival of train from West not later than 11:30 a.m.
1897 Lake area
News and Citizen - 7-21-87 - Elmore stage now arrives and departs on the old time schedule. The change dating from Monday. This enables people to receive their mail and make answers the same day.
1900 East Elmore
Post Office — Photo 71
1863 East Elmore
Photo 45-46 East
Elmore Post Office was established on January 5, 1863 and discontinued on December 14,
1904. It was located at the four
corners in East Elmore. Mail Routes - East Elmore to Wolcott,
miles and back. Leave East Elmore Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 3 p.m., arriving in
Wolcott by 4:30 p.m. or in time to connect with train. Leave at 7:30 p.m. or on arrival of train.
Exchange and telegraph via Wolcott. William Siloway was Postmaster in 1883 (From the
1883-84 Lamoille County Gazetteer)
Photo 45 shows the post office in East Elmore and Photo
46 shows the site of East Elmore Post Office taken by Hagerman 4/74.
1878 Silloway, William N. East Elmore
Postmaster of East Elmore Post office in 1883, farmed 100 acres. Vermont Watchman, July 15, 1891 - W. N. Silloway has a new 2 seated carriage. News and Citizen dated 4-21-1899 states that W. N. Silloway has mill in full repair and employs about 10 hands. News and Citizen
Jan 27, 1897- W. N. Silloway, Jr. is about to rebuild the bridge recently
burned. 11/16/1898 - W. N. Silloway has purchased the sawmill, village residence and land of F. L. Slayton and
moved thereto. 4-26-1899 - W. N. Silloway has put his
saw mill in through repair and is running full time and furnishes employment
for about ten hands.
1852 Smith, Clarence Pleasant
News and Citizen 2-2-1 878 - The new contractor, C. T. Smith, takes the mail route this week. 4/24/1 878 -“ Our postmaster, C. T. Smith has been quite sick and reported dead, but he is able to attend to business.”
1883 Camp, Abel & Charlotte
Postmaster 17 years, . He was also the town correspondent for the Lamoille Newdealer. He was age 82 when he died on 12/24/1 890.
1897 Camp, Norman Lake area
Norman Camp was Postmaster, town clerk, collector, harness maker, farmer with 75 acres. See News and Citizen 10-19-1 902.
1800 Merriam, Joshua Hill, Rt 12 S
He was manager of R G. Boarding House. News and Citizen 6/1 8/1 885 - Joshua Merriam will run R. G. Hill’s boarding house. Joshua’s farm is filled with hedgehogs which keep filling his colt’s head of quills.
George East Elmore
News and Citizen 12/1 /1 897 - Wildie and George Pilbin are having a good run in their repair shop which indicates a good business for them in the future. The repair shop was rented to them by PA Hollenbeck
1800 Hill, Ernest E. Hill
RGHiII Saw mill
Ernest E. Hill was manager of R.G. Hill Saw Mill
1878 Hill, Robert G. Hill
RGHiII Saw Mill
-Map - Rd 23 - Prop saw mill, manufacturer and dealer lumber, breeder of Cotswold sheep, 15 dairy cows, farmed 1,000 acres. This land was previously owned by Henry C. Parker. His father was Edwin Hill who came to Elmore in 1826. Ref 1 pg 84 - Mill near head of the North Branch. Operated both by steam and water. Cut 1,500,000 feet per year, dressed, matched, and ready for market. Bought rights to the patent for butter tubs as reported in News Dealer, 1868.
1891 Hill, Robert G. Hill
RGHIII Saw Mill
News and Citizen 5/28/1 891 - The steam saw mill of R. G. Hill with its entire machinery and about $5,000 worth of lumber was destroyed by fire last Wednesday. The fire caught upon or near the roof and then escaped notice of the night watchman who at its discovery by the hands at the boarding house at 2:30 a.m. was in the engine room. The flames had made such progress as to be beyond control. It was not insured. It was the best mill in this section and giving employment to a large number of men and teams
1904 Smith, Dan Lake area
News and Citizen 1904 - Dan Smith drew, with 2 horses, from Hills Mill to Robinson Bro’s Mill, a load consisting of ten logs which when measured were 1,786 feet. This was considered a big load until Tuesday when Charles Dodge broke the record by hauling 2,168 feet t the mill with his span.
1902 Robinson, E. E. Lake area
News and Citizen - 10-29-1 902 - W. A. Spaulding has sold his place to Mr. Robinson who is to run the lumber business here. 11-12-1902 - Robinson brothers are busy putting timber together for the addition to the saw mill, 2-17-1904 - 20 teams busy hauling logs to Robinson Brothers mill. 2-14-1906 - Largest load of logs reported drawn here this season was delivered to the
Robinson’s mill last Thursday. The load was drawn by Harry Stowell’s lot by William Peo’s team driven by Arthur Stowell. The distance from lot to mill was 3 miles. 4-1-1903 - E. E. Robinson is wiring Stowe Lumber Co. Mill for electric lights.
1903 Fitzgerald, George Lake area
News and Citizen - 10-21-1903 - George Fitzgerald started working at the Robinson’s steam miii. 5/30/1906 - George Fitzgerald has closed his labors with Stowe Lumber.
1897 Bailey, Olin and Mrs. East
News and Citizen - 10/16/1 901 - Olin Bailey has got rich enough selling dictionaries and has gone to Cambridge to live.
1878 Morse, George A. and Alice Silloway East Elmore
Saw Mill Photo 55-56
George A. Morse, town rep. prop of saw mill, manufacturer and dealer in soft and hardwood lumber. Farmed 500 acres. The saw mill was built in 1893 by James and Ira Youngs. Acres owned were 2,000. 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 feet of lumber per year. From News and Citizen –
1902 - It was reported that a
great fire of 6 weeks in 1902 destroyed much of the timberland used by Morse’s
Mill. A three day rainstorm washed much of the good soil away. Photo 55 shows
the remains of foundation and site of the Morse Mill Boiler taken by Robert L.
Hagerman and J. Phillip Rich on April 28, 1974 and Photo 56 shows the site of
Morse Lumber mill taken in 1974. George Morse sold the mill in 1903 (Ref.
Successful Vermonters) News and Citizen, Jan. 29, 1891 - “Will some good farmer
tellus why there are two kinds of apples on the same
tree-being a common apple tree? Senator Morse is still in lumber business
1891 Morse, George A. and Alice Silloway East Elmore Saw Mill
News and Citizen 10/8/1891 - George A. Morse reports that the lumber market rather dull after his trip to Boston.
Mornsville Messenger 4/21/1 915- The Selectmen are building a new bridge near the Senesac mill. 6/16/1915-
1915 Bedell. D. H. Morrisville
Morrisville Messenger 12-8-1915 - D. H. Bedell of Mornsville is making repairs on the mill he recently purchased of L. F. Senesac.
1873 Symonds, Austin & Mary
Spaulding East Elmore
News and Citizen. 2/13/1897 - He is working for Hollenbeck
again. 3/17/1897 - Austin
Symonds is repairing and putting in some new machinery in his shingle mill. 4/14/1897 - Austin
Symonds is running his shingle mill with a full gang and making the most of the high water.
9/22/1897 - Austin Symonds is repairing his mill and dam.
1878 Morse, Franklin East Elmore Shingle
Map- Rd 30 - Agent for musical instruments and Singer sewing machines, manufacturer and dealer in shingles and clapboards, prop of shingle, clap, dressing mill. Farmed 100 acres.
1878 Morse, George A and Alice Silloway East Elmore
News and Citizen, Jan 27, 1897 - G. A. Morse we understand, that the shingle mill is to be well stocked as there seems to be a good market for shingles. G. A. Morse sold all of his No 2
-100,000 or more. - 1/1 5/1 885- G.A. Morse has his frame ready for shoeing oxen. G.A. Morse is getting out lumber for a new mill this coming spring. 11/10/1885 - G. A. Morse is building a new mill. 10/1/1885 - he has 20 acres of oats. 4/2/1891 - Senator Morse has added another department to his lumber business that of sawing out spouts for running sap to the sugar house.
George East Elmore
News and Citizen 11/5/1891 - George LeBarron has sold his shingle mill to parties in Worcester
who wil Imove it to that place. 8/20/1891 - George LeBarron has put a telephone in his house.
8/6/1 891 - George LeBarron has sold his timber land on the west side of Eagle Ledge Road to L.
1901 Jacobs, Frank East Elmore
News and Citizen 4/1 0/1 901 - Frank Jacobs, while working in Silloway’s mill last Tuesday, was caught under the carriage and his leg broken just above the ankle. The mill showed their sympathy for Frank by making up a purse of $10.00 for him.
1904 Spaulding, Martin Lake area
News and Citizen - 4-20-1904 - Martin Spaulding’s mill is in operation night and day with two gangs of help. 5-4-1904 - Two serious accidents occurred in the M. Spaulding’s mill.. John Fiske cut his foot on the big saw and Sidney Gallup cut off a finger. It is reported that Mr. Fiske has blood poisoning. 6-14-1899 - Our little village was visited by fire about noon yesterday. The butter box factory of Martin Spaulding where the fire originated was destroyed, together with a barn and an unoccupied blacksmith shop, and all buildings belonging to Mrs.. Laura J. Griswold, and partially covered by insurance. We understand that Mr. Spaulding’s loss is total as nothing was saved and he carried no insurance. 8-2-1899 Martin Spaulding has secured the old school house near L.L. Camp’s residence for a place to restart his butter box manufacturing and work has commenced.
1833 Spaulding, Myron State Park
St. Park Hotel 2 and 10 Photo 2
Hagerman and Rich’s article on No. 47 - Treehouse - About 1895 Myron Spaulding decided the mountain should be made more accessible to the rest of the world and should have its own summit hotel. He completed the road in 1897 and a short while later began work on a hotel situated on a shelf of land just below the summit. The two story frame structure measured 22 by 36 feet and was to contain 12 rooms. The hotel was framed and closed in but never completed. The hotel weathered away and the hurricane of 1938 ruined it further. The state took it down in 1939 when they built tower and a cabin. News and Citizen - 8-29-1900 - Miss Hopkins and Miss Gates drove their own team to the top of Elmore Mountain one day last week, thus proving that Myron Spaulding’s driveway to the summit must be in pretty good condition.
1907 Merriam, Stanley, Sr. State park
- News and Citizen 10/26/1 904 - Clarence Stowell and Charles Dodge were in Montpelier after machinery for the Stowe Lumber Co.
1903 Lake area
News and Citizen - 1/7/1 903 - Commence sawing at the Stowe Lumber Co. Mill. They are working getting clapboard machinery set up. - On March 18, Stowe Lumber Co. are running their mill both day and night. On April 1, E. E. Robinson is wiring Stowe Lumber Co.’s Mill for electric lights. On May 27th several acres of valuable timber land have been burned and the Stowe Lumber Co. which is located in Elmore, are now suffering from the effects of the fire. June 24th
- James Fitzgerald working for Stowe Lumber Company. The Stowe Lumber Co. are running their logs down the pond and brook to the mill, getting ready to put in their new boiler and engine as soon as it shall arrive. 10-7-1903 - the whistle at the Stowe Lumber Co. new steam mill sounded for the first time Saturday night at 5 p.m.
Fitzgerald, James Lake area Stowe
News and Citizen, June 24, 1903 - James Fitzgerald working for Stowe Lumber Company.
1904 Lake area Stowe
News and Citizen 4-6-1904 - The Stowe Lumber Company has changed from steam to water power while the high water lasts. 4-13-1904 - Stowe Lumber Co. commenced shipping their lumber last Saturday. 4-20-1904 - Stowe Lumber Co. unable to run full time on account of breaking the carriage. 5-4-1904 - The Stow Lumber Co. bought new matcher and expect to get it here this week. - May 25, 1904 - The Stowe Lumber Co. is running logs from the pond to the mill.
1900 Lake area
See Chet Ward and Urban Woodbury - News and Citizen 11/9/1 904 - The Stowe Lumber Co. has finished sawing their last years stock of logs. They will now repair the mill by putting in a new saw rig and putting on a 24 foot addition.
Thomas East Elmore
Map - Rd 31 Farmed 50 acres. News and Citizen 4/24/1 901 - Someone entered the sugar house of Thomas Pilbin and carried off a sufficient amount of syrup to make 100 lbs of sugar. Note - the average has been less than 1 lb per tree here. 7/10/1901 - Thomas Pilbin’s sugarhouse with all its utensils was destroyed by fire last Saturday. It was evidently set on purpose.
1901 Cook, Clarence and Mrs. Lake
News and Citizen 4/10/1901 - Quite a number visited Mrs. Cook’s sugar place last Friday and ate new sugar. Do it again Clarence.
Sugarhouse Photo 96 & 97
Photos taken 10/4/99 of vacant sugarhouse on Mike and Faith Bourdreau’s property. Originally Joslyn’s sugarhouse.
weeks in 1902 destroyed much of the timber land used by Morse’s mill in East Elmore, and that shortly after the fire died, a 3 day rainstorm washed much of the good soil away and that is what killed East Elmore.
1878 Parker, Judson T. and Betsy
Wolcott Hill, Rt 12 S
Stone mason Map -
Rd. 18 - Lumberman and farmer 300 acres - Son of Henry C. Parker and Mary Batchhelder.
Brother to Charles S. Parker and sister, Mary J. Hill (wife of J. T. Hill). Married Betsy Wolcott on
3-14-1866. Judson T. Parker held
many town offices, rep. town in 1880. Daughter. Mirtie Belle.
Vermont Citizen, 5/8/1 873 - Judson Parker is a first class stone mason having spent a number of
years out West on the most important bridges in the section. He had been employed by the
PO.R.R. Co, (railroad) and has done most of the heavy stone masonry from St. Johnsbury to
Morrisville on the railroad - much of it being the best in the state.
1883 Rivers, Joseph Hardwood Flats
Road 21 - Stone mason and farmer - 50 acres
1883 Harris, Ward B. Lake area
Road 13 - Dealer in dry goods, gen. merch., drugs and ready made clothing - farmer - 40 acres in Wolcot News and Citizen 10/8/1 885 - W. B. Harris has put a coal stove in his store and thinks it is cheaper and more comfortable. 10/15/1891 - W. B. Harris is covering the front of his house roof with corrugated iron.
1908 Hutchins, H. G. Lake area
News and Citizen 9/1 6/1 908 - H. G. Hutchins is shingling his store.
1908 Peo. Charles Lake area
News and Citizen 2/5/1908 - Charles Peo is taking the place of Harry Gilman in the store and post office.
1878 Story, Hiram Pleasant Valley
Lamoille News 4-24-1 878 - Elbridge Rugg has bought Hiram Story’s saw mill and is doing a large amount of sawing. Lamoille News 5/29/1878 - Work at H. Story’s lumber mill stopped for a short time because of the large nut in the saw shaft.
unk Lake area
Stowe Lumber Photo 8
Stowe Lumber Co. Mill on Elmore Brook draining Lake Elmore. This mill gave out clapboards and matched and four sided lumber. The smoke stack went to Atlas Plywood. Stafford and Fred Peck bought it and moved it to the Atlas Plywood site. They use to cut 3 million feet a year. They owneed the land in Elmore that later was owned by Atlas Plywood. This was a water mill first and then steam and there were 2 water wheels and the water wheels always drove the clapboard board mill. (The above was written by Oliver Bacon)
1898 Thomson, Hugh Lake area
1900 Stowell, Clarence Lake area
1897 Hollenbeck, P.A.Capt East Elmore
News and Citizen, Jan 20, 1897- Hollenbeck has commenced to get out timber for his new steam mill is is stocking up his store with new goods. 2/10/1897 - He has commenced to build his new steam mill. The timbers are in the yard and the framing work is going in. 2/24/1897 - Hollenbeck went to Montpelier Monday to buy machinery for his new mill. 3-1 7-1897 - Capt. Hollenbeck’s new steam mill is up and the roof is being covered with fireproof covering. The new machinery is coming in. . 5-5-1897 - The new steam mill is almost in readiness for the season’s work. 5-19-1897 - Steam is on and PA Hollenbeck is furnishing employment for a large force of help once more. It gives East Elmore a lively appearance. We offer him much praise for the handsome new mill so rapidly rebuilt since the first last February.
1898 Hollenbeck, P.A. Capt East
News and Citizen 4-27-1 898 - The steam whistle gave its first “hello” at the steam mill on the 26th. 5-11-1898 - The Hollenbeck steam mill started off with a crew of 18 men, new conveyor chain and a saw dust blower. 5-18-1898 - The steam mill is doing good business and the new attachments work as a charm - no more saw dust to swim the river. P.A. Hollenbeck sold three new cows to drovers last week.
1899 Hollenbeck, P.A.Capt East Elmore
Steam Mill Photo 49-50
From News and Citizen - 9/6/1 899 - C. H. Carpenter returned from Barre to build a new bulkhead to P.A. Hollenbecks steam mill.
10/24/1900 - Capt. Hollenbeck has
started up his steam mill again after a few weeks of idleness. The whistle and
hum of machinery can be heard. 11/1 4/1 900 -Capt. Hollenbeck has finished
sawing and has dismantled his mill for the winter. (14 days later 14” of snow
fell on East Elmore). 4/1902 - P. A. Hollenbeck started his mill. 4/30/1 902 - The
steam mill has been running with a fury force of men the past two weeks. J. F. Parker
handles the lever and T. Symonds runs the engine for Capt. Hollenbeck as usual.
Photo 49 - Gang at East Elmore Mill - the arrow is Hollenbeck. Photo 50 shows
the old East Elmore Saw mill owned by George Morse, ran by Holllenbeck
and sold to Duane Lumber Co.
1902 Parker, J. F. Pleasant Valley
From News and Citizen - 4/14/1 897- Jo Parker is running his mill night an day. 4/30/1902 - J. F. Parker handles the lever for Capt. Hollenbecks steam mill
1891 Boynton,L.B. Lakearea
News and Citizen 6/25/1891 - The long talked of steamer has arrived. It’s name has been the “Caspian” and has formerly cruised upon Caspian Lake. It is a steam yacht 30 feet long, 8 feet beam with 10 horse boiler and six horse engine. It was taken to Lake Elmore Tuesday and will be at once painted and put in trim for use of the public. 7-2-71 - L. B. (Bing) Boynton,. proprietor and the steam yacht is working on the boat. A pier of 80 feet long has also been commenced. The boat was successfully launched 7-1-1 891 and the whistle can be heard for miles.
1930 East Elmore
According to Glee Kelley, East Elmore was inhabited by people running stills during the prohibition and when they left, the town was finally no more. She also said a great fire of six
St. Park Hotel Photo 6
From Times-Argus, August 8, 1967 - Stanley Merriam, Sr. became the State Park caretaker in 1967. He had served for eight years as forest ranger at the Elmore Fire Tower. He had a comfortable cabin, 14 x 16 with hardwood floor, varnished, and white sink. Mrs. Merriam spent the summers up on the mountain with her husband and in 1967 assisted him in the booth where admissions to the park were collected. Mr. Merriam was an Elmore native and remembered as a boy that there were only two camps or cottages along the eastern shore of Lake Elmore. Photo 6 shows the fire warden’s cabin in 1963. Phote 69 shows the cabin where he lived while forest ranger. Photo taken in October 1972.
1887 Morse, Benjamin F. East
News and Citizen Mr. Morse makes his stage trips just the same right on time even if the storms and winds are raging. high. 4/14/1897 - B. F. Morse reports the roads in the worst condition he has experienced during his whole line of carrying the mail. 9/28/1898 - B. F. Morse is building an addition to his barn to be used for a stall
Jimmie East Elmore
Jimmie Pedro, Portugese, drove the Wolcott to Elmore stage(note Geo Gray place). The “green Portugese” as they called him, had a camp in Elmore. He could not speak English and received $2.00 a week as a stagecoach driver. News and Citizen, May 5, 1897 - George White has let his farm to Jim Pedroza for 5 years. 6/1 6/1 897 - Jim Pedro will commence to carry the mail from this place to Wolcott the first of July. 2-1-
1899 - Jimmie Pedro is drawing
hemlock bark to Morrisville for G.A. Morse.
1850 Brown, James LakeArea
Hemenway Vol. II, Part II, Page 627 - James Brown manufactures potato starch near Elmore Pond
1878 Lake area
The Starch Factory was located off the Emore Pond Road not far from the Wolcott town line. According to the book Vermont Under Four Flags, loads of potatoes were dumped into large troughs and washed. They were put through grinding machines and strained and then put into vats to settle. The water was drawn off and the pulpy starch on drying racks. When dry, the starch was broken into lumps. The Starch factory was coverted into a sawmill in 1881. By 1883, it was called the Woodbury and Ward Sawmill, owned by Chet Ward and Urban Woodbury. It has the capacity to cut 1,000 feet of lumber per hour and had planing and matching machines and shingle saw.
1900 Lake area
The Starch factory was where the Stowe Lumber Company later was built
1891 Hollenbeck, P.A. Capt and
Mrs. East Elmore
News and Citizen 11/19/1891 - Capt. Hollenbeck of Jeffersonville is moving the boilers and machinery at R. G. Hill’s mill in Elmore.
Bennett Lake area
News and Citizen 4-30-1891 - Bennett Lamphere says some one carried from his sugar house “unbeknown” a 33 lb pail of sugar this spring.
1878 Symonds, Thomas Austin & Mary
Map Rd 31 “Name on 1878 map has Symonds spelled Simmons. News and Citizen reported on 4-30-1902 that T. Symonds ran the engine for Capt. Hollenbeck as usual. News and Citizen 10/31/1 897- Austin Symonds is repairing his shingle mill. He intends putting in a new water wheel this fall.
1900 Symonds, Henry East Elmore
Symonds Mill Photo 36-58
E. Albee Sawmill - Ref 9, File 2 - Henry Symonds says his father bought mill at Pleasant Valley in 1900 from Parker and it burned in 1929 or
1930. He rebuilt it and he
operated it until 1937 or 1938. Elmer Powers tore it down in 1945. Henry says
he sawed 800,000 feet a year on average and one year 1,000,000. His dad built
Elmer Power’s house. Henry Symonds” father also built the shingle mill in East
1905 Symonds, Thomas Austin & Mary
Symonds Mill Photo 39-70
Unsure whether Symonds mill was located in Pleasant Valley or East Elmore. News and Citizen on 4/30/1905 stated that Symonds ran engine for Capt. Hollenbeck as usual
Edward East Elmore
News and Citizen 11/10/1885 - Edward Shackett has sold his thrushing machine. 7/16/1885 - The storm of last Thursday did a good deal of damage by blowing down trees and breaking telephone wires.
1906 Atkins, Henry Lake area Town
Town Clerk in 1906. News and Citizen - 4/1 0/1 901 - Mr. Atkins is in his store again. News and
1833 Town Hall
Historical Sketch (Article 25) - Town and freemen’s meetings were held in various homes until 1833 when it was voted to hold them at the schoolhouse in the third distric(Pond School). In 1857 it was voted to build a town hall in connection with the schoolhouse in the third district. Damage to some of the town records by fire in 1911 leaves the details regarding this building in some doubt but this plan is said to have been abandoned and the dance hail at the village hotel was used for town meetings until about 1890 when a town hail was built.
1897 Bacon, OliverD.
News and Citizen, 6-30-1897 - 0. D. Bacon went to Barre to purchase doors and windows for the new Town Hall. 8-4-1897 - 10/20/1897 - 0. D. Bacon has the outside of the town hail completed and painted a very neat and tasty style and it is a great addition to the looks of our little village. 5-18-1898 - “Commodore” Bacon, who has charge of one of the squardrons plying on Lake Elmore says the navigation season of
1898 commenced 5-14-89. 6-1 5-1 898 -
Commodore Bacon thinks it is rather checky for visitors to stable their horses in his park and then steal away without paying for the use of boats. His area is called Bacon’s landing.
1897 Bliss, A. A. and Elsie Gould
News and Citizen, June 30, 1897- The Selectmen have purchased a site for the town hall of A. A. Bliss.
1897 Town Hall Lakearea
News and Citizen, June 30, 1897 - The Selectmen have purchased a site for the town hail of A.
A. Bliss. 0. D. Bacon has taken the job of building the same. He will purchase the doors and windows while visiting Barre. August 11, 1897 - Work commenced Monday on new town hail. News and Citizen 12/22/1 897 - Town Hall is completed. 2/16/1898 - Auditors met last Saturday using the new town hail for the first time. “News and Citizen, June 30, 1897- The Selectmen have purchased a site for the town hail of A. A. Bliss.
1897 Town Hall Lake area
News and Citizen 2/23/1898 The town voted at our last town meeting to instruct the Selectmen to build a town hall the cost not to exceed $600, above the cost of land and foundation. In pursuance of said note, the Selectmen have built the same, the dimensions being 30 x 43 feet. The contract was let to Oliver Bacon for $575, the town to furnish the foundaton. The specifications called for soft wood finish but Mr. Bacon, at his own expense, finished the building in hard wood throughout. The booths for voting are masterpieces of mechanical ingenuity. They are arranged so that when not in use, they fold back against the side of the house. Good judges from both in and out of town, say that Elmore has the best town hall inthe county taking cost into consideration. The whole cost including land, 100 chairs, tables, stove and pipe is $820.79 - A taxpayer.
1897 Lake area
News and Citizen dated October 20, 1897 - 0. D. Bacon has the outside of the Town Hall completed and painted in a very neat and tasty style, and a great addition to our little village. Dec. 8, 1897 - Contractor 0. D. Bacon has the Town Hall finished, all but the hard wood floors. December 22, 1897.The Elmore Town Hall is complete.
1897 Lake area
News and Citizen, June 30, 1897 - The Selectmen have purchased a site for the town hall of A. A. Bliss. 0. D. Bacon has taken the job of building the same. He will purchase the doors and windows while visiting Barre. August11, 1897- Work commenced Monday on new town hall.
1904 Lake area
News and Citizen 2-17-1904 - Leap year dance at the Town Hall - Admission 50 cents -
11-19-1902 - 20 couples attended
the dance in the town hall. Morrisville Messenger 8/4/1915 -
There will be a baked bean and salad supper August 4th at the Town Hall. News and Citizen
9/4/1912 - A free social will be
held at the Town Ha’l July 18th by the Ladies Social
Games will be played and music furnishec for singing and marching. Lemonade will be served.
8/1 4/1 912 - A poverty social will be held tte Town Hall, August 22nd by the Ladies Social
Club. Everyone is invited to come and wear old clothes, the more ragged and patched the better. Any lady wearing a silk or wool dress will be fined 20 cents. Any gentleman wearing a stiff collar and good suit will be fined 10 cents. There will be other fines from 3 to 5 cents on gold rings, pins and 15 cents on gold watches. Coffee and doughnuts will be served 5 cents.
1847 Doty, George Lake area
From News and Citizen, December 18, 1890- Business card - G. W. Doty - Practical Undertaker - finest goods the market affords. Ice box and embalmer.
1883 Griswold, Wilson Lake area
Road 13 - Retired wagon maker - 8 acres
1905 Dodge, Hiram Lake area
News and Citizen 1-25-1 905 - Hiram Dodge pulled a large pine from the Bacon property to the Ward Mill.
1856 Ward, ChesterW.
Map - Rd 2 -Chet Ward, born 1856 - See notes regarding Woodbury/Ward Saw Mill under Woodbury. News and Citizen 1-25-1 905 - C. W. Ward cut a pine on the Bacon lot that measured 2,953. The tree from the stump was 130 feet. It was drawn to the mill by Hiram Dodge. Chester Ward was Bert Ward’s brother and his father was Luther Ward. Chet was an old lumberjack and mill man. He and Urban Woodbury started what became the Stowe Lumber Company. Chet Ward said that there was lead in Worcester range in Elmore.
1883 Woodbury, Urban & Pauline
Map - Rd 2 - Woodbury and Ward’s Saw Mill - (Pg 83 Ref 1) - Located on Pond Brook, North part of town. Former Starch Factory, converted to saw mill in 1881. Capacity to cut 1,000 feet lumber per hour. Had planing, matching machines and a shingle saw.. It was later called Stowe Lumber Co.
1891 Lake area
News and Citizen 7-23-1 891 - The Yacht Club assisted by our people has opened a camp on the East side of the lake in the wood lot of the Dea. Camp farm and a cottage 18 x 24, two stories high with a 6 foot veranda is being erected. This is said to be the best place for a camp in the neighborhood being accessible to teams and well shaded. 7/30/1 891 - A pier has been commenced at the new camp. The cottage at the new camp is mearly compleated and has a very neat and snug appearance. For more information see Boynton, L. B. 11/12/1891 - The steam yacht was taken from the lake by Morrisville parties last Friday and Saturday and rests upon the shore near the landing. The lake has been partially covered by ice for several days. 8-6-1891 - A party of 11 ladies from Morrisville have been stopping at Camp Idlewild this past week.